Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Fmr Prez Asst of FVR tells Ramos "You had your glory days" ...leave Duterte alone ~Share


I read this post written by a Señor Jose Alejandrino and tried to verify who this person was. Searching in Google came back with two results, one was José Alejandrino  who was one of the Filipino generals during the Philippine Revolution and the Philippine-American War and was also a senator of the Twelfth Senatorial District of the Philippines who died in 1951.


The second Jose Alejandrino (Based on his Facebook information) was Former Presidential Assistant for Economic Affairs to Philippine President Fidel V Ramos at Malacañang Palace. So 99% sure this is him.

I'm reposting what he wrote because it expresses my sentiments and perhaps also those of millions of Filipinos who were saddened by former President Fidel V. Ramos remarks. I felt Ramos' comments were not all factual and knowing what his voice carries, one can question his motives.

Shown below is Señor Jose Alejandrino's post. Please share this.

PEOPLE MAY ASK


I am sure many of my friends are wondering or asking why I am doing what I am doing.

Firstly, because like millions of Dutertistas I helped Rodrigo Duterte become president.

Secondly, I am doing it for my country.

Thirdly, because I know given the enormous problems facing Duterte, he needs our help.

Fourthly, because if he succeeds, it will be our success. If he fails, it will be our failure.

Fifthly, because I owe it to my children and grandchildren.

Sixthly, because I owe it to our ancestors who sacrificed, fought and died for our country.

Seventhly, because I owe it to my God to rebuild a new nation consecrated to his glory.

Eightly, because I want a better world.

Ninthly, because I am bored and long for action.

Lastly, so that I have something to post on fb. ABOVE ALL WE ARE ALL PATRIOTS, A SOVEREIGN FILIPINO Sa Puso, Salita at Sa Gawa!

FVR AND DU30

I served as the presidential assistant of FVR. I am fond of him. I thought he was a good president. When I returned to the Philippines for the second time, I paid him a courtesy call. From the top floor of his office, he showed me the vast contrast between the high-rise buildings of big banks and the slums around them in Makati. What he was really conveying to me was the wide disparity between the rich and the poor.

When we sat down, he asked me whom I thought would be a good presidential candidate in 2016. I told him I didn't have a clue. He asked me what I thought of Rodrigo Duterte. I answered I didn't know whether the mayor was interested in running for the presidency.

The next I read in the newspapers is that FVR had gone to Davao to persuade Duterte to run for the presidency. When Duterte came to Manila he paid a courtesy call to FVR. The former president did all the talking while Duterte listened politely. Duterte was still not interested in running. FVR made several more attempts to convince the mayor to run. Finally Duterte relented and decided to take a shot at it. When Duterte won, he graciously acknowledged the role that FVR had played in the opening sentence of his Inaugural Address in Malacanang. I was extremely pleased by the sight of these two men sitting side by side, both of whom I had helped to become president.

After Duterte's 100 days in office, I was sad to read that FVR was disappointed by Duterte's performance. I thought the former president was too harsh on the current president. I wrote on fb that objectively Duterte had accomplished much during his first 100 days in office. The netizens on social media castigated FVR and I was more saddened by the sight of a great statesman being treated in this fashion.

What caused this turnaround in FVR? Perhaps it had to do with the differences in character and style of government.

As I wrote in my memoirs that was published in the United States, FVR was a cautious man. He was never given to bold actions, what Napoleon Bonaparte called "l'audace, toujours l'audace." He was, I said, no George Patton who charged forward despite the odds, but more of a Dwight Eisenhower who preferred consensus to accommodate divergent opinions. That was his character and style.

Rodrigo Duterte is different. He is given to bold actions, more audacious, and ready to take the lead whatever others may think of him. Duterte is a Napoleon Bonaparte, a Heneral Luna, a Douglas MacArthur who had said that Eisenhower would make a good president but not a great one.

Therein lies the clash between two men of different temperaments. In fairness to Duterte, no president before him had faced the immense problems he inherited. Extraordinary circumstances dictate extraordinary measures which Duterte has never shirked from even when he was mayor of Davao. He is determined to lead, regardless of criticisms.

I am fond of both men. I understand both of them. I myself believe in bold actions and I believe that is what the Filipinos who voted for Duterte expect from him. FVR's style was probably appropriate to his time but whether it is appropriate today given our enormous problems is debatable. The people are calling for change. To effect change requires audacity because the established order won't give up that easily. I do not believe given our crab mentality that Filipinos can reach a consensus. We cannot even agree on simple things like where to bury Marcos.

FVR had his time. As I had said to him when he was picking a successor, don't endorse anyone. Just leave with flying colors. He didn't listen and his anointed one lost the election. When he picked Duterte, I thought it was his way of redeeming the past by choosing a winner this time. I was convinced Duterte was a winner and had predicted his win by a landslide before the May 9 elections were held.

My advice therefore is "President Ramos, you had your glory days. Let President Duterte have his. Leave God and history to judge him. He is the president and has the responsibility which is no longer yours. Let the people remember you as a good president and elder statesman. Relax and write your memoirs. You have done more than your fair share."

http://aboutstuff-stuff.blogspot.be/2016/10/fmr-prez-asst-of-fvr-tells-ramos-you.html?m=1

No comments: