Thursday, October 20, 2016

Duterte declares break from US in military, economics

By TRISHA MACAS, GMA News

BEIJING — President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday declared that he was breaking the Philippines' military and economic alliance with the United States, the country's longtime ally.
Duterte made the remark before Chinese government officials and business leaders who attended the Philippines-China Trade and Investment Forum.
With the "separation" from the US, Duterte said he would now be relying on the Chinese officials and businessmen.
"I announce my separation from the United States both in the military but economics also. So please you have another problem of economics in my country," Duterte said.
"I have separated from them so I will be dependent on you for a long time but don't worry we will also help," he added.
Duterte said he also planned to visit Russia and firm up ties with Moscow.
"I realign myself in your ideological flow and maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin. There are three of us against the world. China, Philippines, Russia," Duterte said.
Duterte over the past months stepped up his anti-US rhetoric after US officials, including US President Barack Obama expressed concern over the alleged extrajudicial killings blamed on his war on drugs.
The President also announced that October's joint military exercises with the US would be the last under his term.
$13.5 billion
Duterte made his comments in China, where he is visiting with at least 200 business people to pave the way for what he calls a new commercial alliance as relations with longtime ally US deteriorate.
His trade secretary, Ramon Lopez, said $13.5 billion in deals would be signed
Duterte's efforts to engage China, months after a tribunal ruling in the Hague over South China Sea disputes in favor of the Philippines, marks a reversal in foreign policy since the 71-year-old former mayor took office on June 30.
China has pulled out all the stops to welcome Duterte, including a marching band complete with batton-twirling band master at his official welcoming ceremony outside the Great Hall of the People, which most leaders do not get.
President Xi Jinping, meeting Duterte earlier in the day, called the visit a "milestone" in ties.
Xi told Duterte that China and the Philippines were brothers and they could "appropriately handle disputes", though he did not mention the South China Sea in remarks made in front of reporters.
"I hope we can follow the wishes of the people and use this visit as an opportunity to push China-Philippines relations back on a friendly footing and fully improve things," Xi said.
Following their meeting, during which Duterte said relations with China had entered a new "springtime", Chinese vice foreign minister Liu Zhenmin said the South China Sea issue was not the sum total of relations.
"The two sides agreed that they will do what they agreed five years ago, that is to pursue bilateral dialogue and consultation in seeking a proper settlement of the South China Sea issue," Liu said.
China claims most of the energy-rich South China Sea through which about $5 trillion in ship-borne trade passes every year. Neighbors Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also have claims.
In 2012, China seized the disputed Scarborough Shoal and denied Philippine fishermen access to its fishing grounds.
Liu said the shoal was not mentioned and he did not answer a question about whether Philippine fishermen would be allowed there. He said both countries had agreed on coastguard and fisheries cooperation, but did not give details.
Sea row takes backseat
Duterte's tone toward Beijing is in contrast to the language he has used against the United States, after being infuriated by U.S. criticism of his bloody war on drugs.
On Wednesday, to the cheers of hundreds of Filipinos in Beijing, Duterte said Philippine foreign policy was veering towards China.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/585803/news/nation/duterte-declares-break-from-us-in-military-economics
"I will not go to America anymore. We will just be insulted there," Duterte said. "So time to say goodbye my friend."
Duterte had said the South China Sea arbitration case would "take the back seat" during talks, and that he would wait for the Chinese to bring up the issue rather than doing so himself.
China has welcomed the Philippines approaches, even as Duterte has vowed not to surrender any sovereignty to Beijing, which views the South China Sea Hague ruling as null and void.
China has also expressed support for his drug war, which has raised concern in Western capitals about extrajudicial killing.
Duterte's overtures to China have been accompanied by signs of improving business ties with the world's second largest economy.
China's Liu said Beijing will restore Philippine agricultural exports to China and provide financing for Philippine infrastructure. —NB/JST, GMA News with Reuters

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/585803/news/nation/duterte-declares-break-from-us-in-military-economics

No comments: