(By Vicky Abad)
Jim Paredes says the craziest things indeed.
His BARYA statement against the Duterte government got me thinking... Oo nga, after 7 months - ano nga ba epekto ni Duterte sa buhay ko?
Para ngang wala. Maybe because I am NOT:
- A senior citizen (they got 1k more pension),
- A farmer or fisherman (they have Manny Pinol and are now slowly reaping the benefits of reforms at the DAR)
- An OFW (so the newly improved airports and shuttle services, the One Stop shops of services, the support to Saudi OFWs, less fees to be paid, etc)
- A drug manufacturer, distributor, lord, pusher nor an addict or a family member of one (so the war on drugs was not a 'to-my-face effort of the government - barya nga - as I was unaffected by this)
- A person from Visayas and Mindanao (who am sure are probably already feeling the impact of government funds now being made available to those areas)
- A person who lives in Davao, Naga or Surigao when calamity struck - so no government help came to me nor was needed
- Someone who needs financial help to buy my maintenance medicines (unlike those who can now reach to to DSWD for help - thank God for the provisions of a good source of income for this)
- Affected by Mining Operations and their ills (so walang effect sa akin ang galing at malasakit ni Ms Gina Lopez)
- A Social Media person - so was not recently recognized for my voluntary efforts and invited to the Malacanang
- Someone who recently needs a Driver's License, a Passport, LTO registrations so again unaffected by the government's efforts in the area plus I have a car club who helps me with those.
- Someone who lives in residential places riddled with criminality amplified by drug addiction, vagrancy and petty criminals
- Marginalized so corruption in government is, at best, a nuisance to me but nothing that a few hundred pesos cannot overturn.
- A Teacher, Nurse, contractual worker, Soldier or policeman that have long been suffering poor pay for valuable services to the country.
- LIKELY to pass regularly through recent roadworks that have been completed in a rush for the commuters' convenience
I am, however, a TAX PAYER and maybe Jim Paredes' clamor that all of Pres Duterte's government's efforts are all BARYA LANG, is in part, true.
BUT, I will take BARYA everyday - even if it least impacts my life today, yet probably means a whole lot more to people who did benefit from all of this government's effort in the past 7 months pa lang!