Some 81 percent of Filipinos across the country felt safer because of the government's campaign against illegal drugs, according to a Pulse Asia Research Inc. poll.
The poll, the results of which were provided by Pulse Asia's Ana Tabunda, asked respondents whether they agreed or disagreed with the assertion, "Compared to last year, I feel that it is less dangerous now in our place because of the campaign against illegal drugs."
Some 25 percent said they "very much agree", 56 percent said they "agree", 5 percent said they "may agree or may disagree", 4 percent said they "disagree", and 0.2 percent said they "very much disagree".
Added together, those who "very much agree" and those who "agree" came to 81 percent.
By region, Mindanao had the highest percentage of those who agreed at 90 percent, with 42 percent that "very much agree" and 48 percent that "agree".
The Visayas had 87 percent agreeing, while Luzon had 74 percent.
Among the social classes, 82 percent of both Classes ABC and E said they agreed, while 81 percent of Class D agreed.
The poll was taken from December 6 - 11, 2016. The methodology used in the poll and the number of respondents involved was not revealed.
Campaign against criminality
The poll also asked respondents whether they agreed or disagreed with the statement: "Compared to last year, I feel that it is less dangerous now in our place because of the campaign against criminality."
Nationally, 80 percent said they agreed, with "very much agree" having 22 percent, and "agree" having 58 percent. Some 15 percent said they "may agree or may disagree", 5 percent said they "disagree," and 0.4 percent said they "very much disagree."
Mindanao had 89 percent agreeing, the Visayas had 82 percent, Luzon had 74 percent, and the National Capital Region had 81 percent.
National Capital Region Police Office Chief Director Oscar Albayalde had earlier welcomed the poll results. “Siguro yung ating mga kababayan, nakita for the first five months nung paglunsad nung ating war on drugs na talagang nakita naman po nila na tumahimik yung ating mga kalansanga," Albayalde had told Super Radyo dzBB. "Of course nakita rin nila yung accomplishment not only in NCR pero ng buong PNP.”
During 2016's presidential campaign, then candidate Rodrigo Duterte promised to end crime and corruption within three to six months.
In September, Duterte said he needed another six months as he only appreciated the severity of the country's drug problem only after being elected president.
Then in January, the war on drugs was extended till the end of Duterte's six-year term.
More than 8,000 people have been killed since the government's war on drugs was launched, with the PNP taking responsibility for over 2,500 of these deaths during their anti-drugs operations.
However, Philippine authorities reject allegations by local and international human rights groups that police were involved in thousands of mysterious murders of drug users. — Jon Viktor D. Cabuenas/DVM, GMA News