The President-elect of the United States, Donald Trump has announced the Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte as special guest at his in...
Monday, May 9, 2016
Top 10 epic fails of VP Binay
Vice President Jejomar Binay could have won the presidency by a landslide if elections were held a year ago, according to a Pulse Asia survey.
Now, the same survey shows Binay’s sinking political stock with Senator Grace Poe leapfrogging him in the standings and Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte snapping at his tail. Instead of a six-year term in Malacañang, Binay may face a long stay behind bars in Muntinlupa as corruption allegations continue to hound him.
So what happened to the ultimate politiko who pulled the biggest upset in post-EDSA Revolution elections? Politiko lists down Binay’s biggest blunders.
1) Letting his daughter, Nancy Binay, run for the Senate, making the Binay’s the only dynasty with representatives in all major elective posts in the country.
2) Announcing his ambition to be the next President just days after winning as Vice President in 2010. This made him the main target of political rivals in the last five years.
3) Refusing to attend the Senate probe on his ill-gotten wealth, his use of dummies and fake bank accounts, and bid rigging and kickbacks while preferring to use spokespersons to fend off his critics. Binay thought the public would be satisfied with his sweeping denials in fora outside the prying questions of senators. He was wrong.
4) Quitting the Aquino administration and picking a fight with the popular President and his men much earlier than he should. Binay could have stayed four more months as the deadline for filing of candidacy is on October 2015.
5) Dropping Senators Grace Poe and Francis Escudero in the 2013 senatorial elections after getting them as guest candidates for UNA. Poe and Escudero refused to join UNA’s sorties but Binay should have known this since the two were picked first by President Aquino for the administration ticket.
6) Attacking Senator Grace Poe’s murky residency status despite knowing full well how Filipinos are suckers for the underdog situations of an “ampon” or foundling.
7) Failing to curb his and his children’s arrogance when confronted by policemen (in the Makati City Hall stand-off on July 2015) and security guards (Dasmariñas Village confrontation on December 2013) .
8) Giving Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri a seat in the United Nationalist Alliance senatorial ticket in 2013 which alienated Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III (Pimentel blames Zubiri for cheating him out of a 12th seat in the 2007 elections). Pimentel joined Liberal Party and Binay was banished from PDP-Laban.
9) Creating an enemy out of Senator Antonio Trillanes IV by not showing up as the then mayor promised to the coup plotter in the Peninsula siege in November 2007.
10) Reneging on his promise to let Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado take over as Makati Mayor in 2010. Mercado is the primary whistle-blower in the Senate Blue Ribbon sub-committee’s ten-month probe who exposed Binay’s shenanigans such as the overpriced Makati Parking Building 2, Makati Science High School Building, and Hacienda Binay.