Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

PARAS, THE SELF-PROCLAIMED WRITER WHO NEVER WAS...


In the middle of 1995, when I called by long distance my brother Perfecto in Washington, D.C., telling him that I am doing a research about the Philippines, the life of our national hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal, the first Filipino and the Brussels history. I had a lengthy conversation touching on all the details pertinent to my works, including the manner in which the publication of the book could be expeditiously carried out.

My brother "Perfecto" admired my ideas, courage, and God given talents. Indeed he was so very supportive of my research and he even invites me to come to the US. In the same year I stayed 3-week in the United States, but most of my time were consumed visiting libraries in Washington D.C.

When I wrote "Born to be a Hero, the history of the Philippines, the national heroes, and the Brussels history. I had in mind the Filipinos in Europe. The Filipino organization leaders suggested to me that I write this book. They said many Filipino children born in Europe have never come to the Philippines and are studying the European history and the lives of European heroes but have no knowledge of the Philippine history and the Filipino heroes. Of course, I realize the great necessity of this, so I decided to write this book which would be beneficial not only to them, but also to our countrymen in the Philippines. I wrote this book in English and some introduction in French language so that the reader will find no difficulty in understanding it. It is my aim and hope that this will enlighten our people and foreigners as well.

This book was written from the point of view of the Filipinos and not of the Spaniards and the Americans. Even so, facts are not twisted to accommodate national prejudices. The facts are allowed to stand as facts, but their interpretations are my responsibility. Consequently, while l discussed the evils of the Spanish administration, I also discussed the good that Spain had done in the Philippines. The same may be said of my treatment of the American period: the good as well as the bad are placed side by side for all to see. This is the essence of impartiality in history. There is no deliberate twisting of facts in order to accommodate friends or to drag down enemies.

I am aware that some aspects of Rizal's biography will prove to be controversial; it is not a hagiography but the story of a human being who, being human, was afflicted with "the headache and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to". Rizal was not perfect, he was not always right, but I trust that those who read this story of his life will perceive that his humanity is precisely the secret of his greatness.

Sir Lino Wy Paras, KGO


NB. Check out "Born to be a hero" at: http://ningaskugonbaga.blogspot.com/2006/07/born-to-be-hero.html

No comments: