Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Friday, May 14, 2010

AN EVENING WITH NOYNOY

An interesting testimonial by the daughter of a known Marcos loyalist/anti-Cory, Ambassador JV Cruz


An Evening with Noynoy
By Candy Cruz

At a small birthday dinner, I had the privilege of meeting Senator Benigno Aquino lll, an opportunity I had with President ERAP and Senator Manny Villar in the past. But this was something different. We sat and chatted from 930pm to 230am. It's rare for me to stay up this late, but strange enough, he kept me wide-eyed til the wee hours. And anyone who can keep my body clock from fading after 10pm must be interesting enough, to say the least. From that day, privately, Noynoy Aquino has surprisingly shot down my lifelong apathy towards this country and spawned a brand new excitement in me for its future.

Noynoy was little in my consciousness before this very informal meeting, shortly after both his Mother's death and accepting the challenge to ran for president. The little consciousness I have of politicians, and in this case Noynoy, was that of being the son of the late President Corazon Aquino, whom my Dad, the late Ambassador JV Cruz, mercilessly villified, or so it was said. That certainly was no secret. Rightfully or wrongfully so, and that is a matter of opinion, it was a good half a century ago and nobody wants to consciously live in a time warp. I was a Marcosian and not a Coryista and that’s history.

So let's not rewind to Cory, that was a good half a century ago, but fast forward to Noynoy. Whatever he said that night made bloody good sense to me. He left me absolutely gobsmacked. His words spewed out palpably from his head and his heart, rather unlike the laid back man he appeared to be. He was incredibly well informed and he talked about everything... country, the constitution, his kind of politics, travel, which he admitted he enjoyed but did not have the lust for. He talked about books, quoting from authors from the top of his head.

He spoke animatedly about the attempted assassination on his life, ducking, diving, bleeding. pointing to where the bullets were still lodged in his neck and in his leg, inoperable. I am surprised that up to this day, he could have very well defended the insults from people who perceive him to be abnormal and I am quite sure he is being judged on the basis of his gait and the slight immobility of his neck. That’s way beneath him. And his depth.

I will not go into details about his political platform because whatever he said then, in the confines of that little room, he is saying to this day. He's been extremely consistent, to say the least. His words were intelligent, one may say not as intelligent as Marcos or GMA, but need I say more? You decide. And just to make a slight diversion, it is documented that Hitler's Nazis at Nuremberg had IQs in the genius range. But intelligence, being relative, probably has no relevance to IQ.

So what is wrong with an above average intelligence, which a lot of world leaders possess, to no detriment but much benefit to their people? How many of them are and were really brilliant or at a cut off point for genius? He did not feel the need to blow his own horn about the three bills he co-authored that were passed into law or several others of which he was principal author, all substantial. But as anyone knows,to get anything through Congress depends on one’s political affiliation versus the majority. But I am not going to get into the mechanics of politics.

Senator Aquino didn't find time to filter anything in his head just to make sure he got things right. The words flowed spontaneously without restraint. It was clear as daylight that this man has the gall, intellect and stubborness of his Dad, and the humility, spirituality and thoughtfulness of his Mom, as a person. That is an explosive combination. A good head and a big heart. During dinner, I watched him take all of 3 bites as he rattled on like a good raconteur. Although he smoked, he didn't drink as much as a glass of wine.

There was no hint of any personality deficit. Yes, some character flaws can deny leaders from reaching their highest potential but that refers more to overconfidence, greed,pride, alcoholism, none of which he exhibited. It seemed like he knew what he wanted and that his thoughts were definite. Sad to say, the culture of this country being what it is, there is a stigma attached to anything remotely connected to the word psychiatrist. Call it ignorance, if you want. Granted that he ever saw a psychiatrist in his younger years, I bet that this was a result of the 8 years imprisonment of his father, and the threat on his father’s life, which proved to be real. And after which the responsibility laid on his shoulders to look after his family. What head on young shoulders will not feel any anxiety about something so serious and with good reason. That would be abnormal. That is what an acute psychiatric illness is all about. Something akin to a bout of flu. My brother has a chronic psychiatric illness and that is dead serious.

What surprised me most was his incredible sense of humour. He was brilliant at mimicry and impersonation and that included his sisters. But, what got me in stitches was his impersonation of Josh, son of his sister Kris. He had a "wicked" sense of humour as the Brits would say, playfully malicious and mischievous. Not the conservative and sometimes bitter or cruel brand that some Filipinos own. His stories were hilarious, and it was evident how fond he was of Josh. He spoke of him like a surrogate father would. He hardly touched on the subject of his Mom or Dad. He was his own man with his own opinions. He struck me as unaffected. Nothing seemed to faze him. Except one thing, I felt.

Before we broke up at 230am, some of the company I was in, all of five, asked him to sign a photo of him. When I grabbed mine, I asked that he please address it to my mother-in-law. I told him she was not well, that she had cancer, and that I hoped it might make her smile a little. Taking his pen, his hand froze for a second and as he nudged his glasses further into place, he asked, almost solemnly,how he should address her. I told him how,and for one brief moment,he became pensive before he wrote to address her dearly. He was thoughtful as he added a short message "Prayers for your recovery," signed Noynoy Aquino. As I watched him, I felt we were both on the same wavelength. He had just lost his Mom to cancer and I had lost both my parents to cancer. We knew about the disease and the suffering it brought. It’s called compassion.

Noynoy made no negative comment about anyone, politician or otherwise, including the Marcoses. He didn't single them out, and only spoke of overhauling the justice system and that he would see to it that there was closure to all pending cases, whatever their numbers and whoever they were. He did not compare himself to any politician. Switching from fluent tagalog to fluent english was a piece of cake for him. He didn't swagger in or swagger out. Before he came into the fray, I had only voted once in my life and stayed away from this country for almost forty odd years. After this, I decided to re-register because I was out of COMELEC’S radar. As election nears, I still can't seem to kick off the impact he left on me.

I hope I'm right.

Candz

No comments: