Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Remembering Magsaysay

By FRISCO SAN JUAN

MANILA, Philippines — Often times, when we reflect on some incidents in our lives, we couldn’t help but remember the key roles people have in our lives. One such person was the late President Ramon Magsaysay. I owe him a lot, not only for the doors he opened to me through my association with him, but for giving me lessons that eventually proved valuable to my political career.

Two “cherished incidents” come to mind; both of which happened in one day.

The first incident happened during President Magsaysay’s inauguration in Luneta. I was assigned to head the security detail in the area. We carefully planned for the event yet “invisible” as the President desired.

Everything was going smoothly on that cloudless and very hot day. A huge crowd had come to watch their beloved President. Standing behind the lectern after taking his oath of office, he looked at the vast crowd on the other side of the wide road in front of the Grandstand. That side of the road was barricaded for the ceremony.

Before delivering his inaugural address, he told the people: “Come closer to me.” The crowd surged forward, broke down the barrier to cross the road and approached the front of the Grandstand. As in his just concluded political campaign, he seemingly wanted to be close to the people.

After his speech, he went down the front of the Grandstand and climbed a top-down Ford convertible to proceed to Malacañang Palace. The car could hardly inch forward as the crowd pressed on him to shake his hands. Because of the heat, he began to perspire heavily; his new tailored barong was soon soaked with perspiration. Col. Napoleon Valeriano, his aide, held him by the waist to prevent him from falling off the car.

I walked among the crowd watching the sweating President waving and shaking hands with people. It was then that I noticed an old lady with a closed umbrella watching among the crowd. Thinking that the President may want some respite from the scorching sun, I went to the old lady to borrow the umbrella. I opened the umbrella and went to the side of the President to cover his head. Instead of the grateful gesture I expected from him, I heard my name uttered in reprimand. I then meekly closed the umbrella and returned it to the old lady.

After a long time inching our way through the crowd, we finally reached Bonifacio Avenue. As we moved away from the Manila Hotel towards the old Legislative Building, we hopped into the presidential car and drove towards the Palace.

While seated behind the President, he asked me: “Frisco, do you know why I shouted at you when you opened the umbrella over my head?” I replied: “Yes, sir. You did not want the protection.” He continued: “…more to it than that. Remember this: For a leader to understand his people, that leader must also experience their sufferings.”

The second incident happened soon after. Right after the inauguration in Luneta, we proceeded to Malacañang. We were met by the guards on duty; I was handled all the keys to the palace doors as I gave them their instructions. I then accompanied the President to his quarters at the 2nd floor as I thought he wanted to have some time for a brief rest. I did not notice that instead of “resting” he just changed to a polo shirt, immediately went out of the room, and followed me to the ceremonial hall. I was surprised to hear his voice ask the guards: “Where are my people?” The guard on duty responded that the gates of Malacañang were ordered closed. When he asked who had given order, the guard said that it was I. He then angrily declared: “Col. San Juan does not have the authority to do so!” He then ordered the gates opened to the people. The scenario that ensued was repeated over and over again throughout his stint as President – people, people, people... all seeking to talk to him to unburden themselves before him to ask for relief.

Although I had heard him throughout his campaign declaring that he would “...open the gates of Malacañang to the people,” I guess I failed to understand that he literally meant these words.

President Magsaysay reprimanded me on those two occasions. I also had to experience penance for those blunders. My subordinates in the security detail were, soon after the inauguration, assigned to various offices as rewards for their performances. I felt I was “bypassed” being assigned to a nondescript office a little while later.

It was much later that the President assigned me to the Presidential Complaints and Action Committee (PCAC) after the office was vacated by the former Senator Manahan who was transferred to Customs. The assignment was perhaps another fitting lesson he had for me for it was there that I learned to value what real public service is to the people.

I will never forget President Magsaysay. To me he was not only a compleat politician, but one of the best political mentors that I am happy and “humbled” to have had.

(Editor’s Note: Frisco San Juan is a former trustee of the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. He served two terms as congressman of Rizal.)

No comments: