Delicious But Deadly – The World’s 5 Deadliest Delicacies
Some of your favorite fruits can quickly become deadly if ingested in large amounts. Many fruits and their seeds contain trace levels of cyanide and other poisons that can cause extreme discomfort or even have fatal consequences.
A fine spice that just a pinch of it on a pasta dish will do no harm, but eating a large amount of it might lead to a series of physical reactions such as headaches, nausea, dizziness and even hallucinations. The nut has psychoactive material called myristicin.
The plant’s leaves contain oxalic acid, a chemical that’s also used in household bleach and anti-rust products. If that wasn’t enough, eating the leaves can cause burning sensations in the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, convulsions, and even death. Even cooking the leaves won’t get rid of the acid.
Raw cassava has compounds that turn to cyanide in the body. The main toxic principle which occurs in varying amounts in all parts of the cassava plant is a chemical compound called linamarin.
Linamarin is a cyanogenic glycoside which is converted to toxic hydrocyanic acid or prussic acid when it comes into contact with linamarase, an enzyme that is released when the cells of cassava roots are ruptured.
Several diseases have been associated with the toxic effects of cassava.
Known as carambola, starfruit is a star shaped tropical fruit with sweet and sour flavor. Star fruit is one of the plant sources that contain highest concentration of oxalic acid 100 g of fresh fruit contains 50,000-95,800 ppm of oxalic acid.
If you have no kidney problems, you can eat all the star fruit you want – it has no effect on healthy kidneys. But if your kidney function is impaired, eating star fruit can be very dangerous, even deadly. Symptoms of “star fruit intoxication” include persistent hiccups, nausea, vomiting, agitation, insomnia, mental confusion and convulsions that occur within one to five hours of eating the fruit.
5. Green potato
Potatoes naturally produce small amounts of solanine as a defense against insects, but the levels increase with prolonged exposure to light and warm temperatures. The green color is actually caused by high levels of chlorophyll, which by itself is harmless.
But it is also a sign that levels of solanine, which is produced at the same time as chlorophyll, have increased as well. Potential symptoms of solanine poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes cardiac arrest.