Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Delicadeza and gallantry

By ROMEO Y. LIM

‘I was almost certain that Puno would ride the storm. But miracle of miracles, he resigned.’

IT has been a week of pleasant surprises for me and sometimes I can’t help thinking that these surprises should come more often for the sake of our country.

After that embarrassing fiasco involving USEC Rico Puno’s alleged raid on condominium of the late Secretary Jesse Robredo, I was almost certain that Puno would ride the storm and stick it out with the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Besides, if he were really involved in that high-powered gun purchase scheme he would have more leverage and power to hide whatever he has to hide if he were still with the DILG.

It was also a plus for his case when the president himself cleared the air by saying it was his instructions that USEC Puno go to Robredo’s condo to secure the documents.

I mean, can you think of anyone else who could be a better character witness?

But miracle of miracles, Puno resigned.

I have a healthy respect for the guy because he did this.

Since the time of President Cory up to, and most especially, President Gloria Arroyo’s administration, I have seen Cabinet secretaries who seem to have lost or perhaps never had any delicadeza.

Apparently, many of them hid behind the skirts and/or pants of the incumbent president mouthing phrases such as “I serve at the pleasure of the president” with very blatant body language that says, “Hey, no one can make me resign. The President will have to fire me.”

I admire Puno for sparing the Chief Executive any more embarrassment or agonizing decisions including the discomfiture of having to protect his ass every time someone asks what he was doing in Robredo’s condo.

Kudos also to the new NCRPO Chief P/Chief Superintendent Leonardo Espina whose ascent to office had quite a tragic-comedy spin on it. Tragic for the cops who wanted to extort money from Espina’s son, and of course, comedic because everyone found it funny that they chose, of all people, the son of the new NCRPO chief.

I had a good laugh over that one especially since the mastermind had a string of cases against him which never prospered. I guess that gave him enough courage to continue his nefarious activities. Boy, his impunity sure hit the roofs of tolerance.

So far, Espina has been doing the right things and I cross my fingers that he is the new Galahad for the Philippine National Police.

In a way, he reminds me of former PNP Chief now Senator Panfilo Lacson whose term of office at the PNP saw the disappearance of kotong cops. Why, even the taxi drivers I spoke to would heap praises on Lacson for putting his money where his mouth is.

As for Espina, I wish him well. Surely, there will be people higher or lower than him who will try to rain on his parade.

Watch your back, sir.

No comments: