Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

WHAT IS RESPECT IN THE EYES OF A FILIPINO?

Six years ago, I remember being quite stunned by a statement our teacher (who also happens to be a nun from India) made in relation to Filipinos always overstating that they are respectful. Her opposition to this undoubtly disturbing thing is that if indeed Filipinos are what they think they are, why are there so many rape cases and people cutting lines here in the Philippines.

I can also vividly recall what my classmates reactions were upon hearing her opinion regarding that matter. Most of them were appalled and/or offended. Needless to say, I found myself contemplating on what I had just heard.

After a great deal of contemplation, I knew that there is no reason why I should go against her analysis. I hate to say this but she was right on every count.

Pinoy hypocrisy is, without a doubt, very evident. An example of this hypocrisy is in finding so many people hearing mass in a church on a Sunday. Filipinos, despite being religious, fail to be spiritual. Not that Filipinos are the only ones who do this but it is rather self-explanatory that they always pride themselves for being like this and like that when certain instances prove otherwise. This is the problem with Filipinos: They can’t walk the talk. They would go the extra mile when it comes to bragging but they can never deny that some of their practices go against what they say 24/7.

There was this time, a few years ago perhaps, when a teacher told me I was being disrespectful because I said “oo” instead of “opo”. I told her that my parents didn’t teach me how to say po and opo because they think it’s not related with respect but fear. I was asked to go to the principal’s office after that because I rebuked her dumb belief.

The problem with Filipinos with regard to saying po and opo is that they think that you are already being courteous when saying those dreadful words while talking to someone elderly. You cannot question them or argue with them even if you’re right because they think it’s atrocious.

I also find some people in the religious sector hypocrites. How can these people who know nothing about family life and overpopulation hinder the passing of the RH bill? Certainly, a few people would mock me for doing this since I cannot question anyone who is older than me especially when they are priests.

Another point I would like to raise is how Filipinos criticize the Americans for their lack of respect for their old parents by bringing them to aged care homes. If you would think about it, it’s not actually a sign of disrespect for them that they do so. It’s called reality and Filipinos just can’t face reality so they create a series of deluded criticisms to back up their wrong thinking. I would rather send my parents to an adult home than behead them and cook their heads.

If only Filipinos can see the bigger picture of being respectful, I bet they would stop priding themselves with false respect they have for elders and use their brains when it comes to reasoning. However, hypocrisy causes so much illusion to Filipinos so I don’t think I would count on them to stop persisting their lame ideas and values.

About Iya:
Iya Justimbaste believes that positive reinforcement is not applicable to Filipinos.

No comments: