Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Excerpts from a family correspondence between Paciano Rizal, Dona Teodora Alonso and Dr Jose Rizal, 1884

All concerned,

Reading Dr Jose Rizal's reply to his mother (below) is proof that Lazir is on the right track emulating his hero, the Great Malayan, at the same time belying Samuela's claims of "non-partisanship" or "righteousness" in exercising Supreme Pursuivant functions, Quiambao's and Esguerra's cover-up of their evil deeds in the KOR (like the MISSING Euro 5,000 Mushake donation) which IHQ tries to sell as RIZALISM!

Dr Jose Rizal's words ring SO TRUE in 1884, even today, after more than 120 years!

No, Lazir is not angry, mad or losing sleep, has no reason to bring shame to the KOR, even as Quiambao and Esguerra do promote SHAME in things they do: in most of their thoughts, their words, their deeds!

In the 30 May 2010 KOR Elections which Quiambao/Esguerra both want once more done in Manila, FEARFUL of losing IHQ control, all reasonable, upright, wise, right-thinking Knights are hereby ENJOINED to please vote for a BETTER KOR, minus the Quiambao/Esguerra evil influence!

Right now, Lazir submits the name of a reliable KOR Officer for Supreme Commander: Sir Pablo Trillana III!

Lazir will submit more names for the 30 May 2010 KOR Elections as he gets them verified!

Sincerely,

:)
Lazir
- happy and smiling as always!
- proud Filipino Knight trying his BEST to emulate the Great Malayan!
- happy to be able to contribute in his own small ways to a better KOR with a better FUTURE/NAME alternative to what Quiambao/Esguerra currently offer.
- can always refuse any offers of KOR promotion given by Esguerra!
- will fight Quiambao's and Esguerra's corrupt ways "Wherever, Whenever!" with the agility of a Shakira! (hehehe)

Quoting Dr Jose Rizal:

"It is so difficult to live without sorrow, but misfortunes do not mean dishonor; misfortunes are welcome when they are the result of avoiding abasement and degradation. As long as we keep the esteem of those who know us, as long as our conscience is the friendly guide of our thoughts, what does the rest matter?

We have been born into a society whose political life is so out of joint that we can have no other prospect than to submit or to perish; our conscience must decide which is to be preferred. Let us then put our trust in God and in the sincerity of our purposes. If desiring and having desired the good brings misfortune as a reward, what are we to do?

The best legacy that parents can leave to their children is an upright judgment, generosity in the exercise of our rights, and perseverance in adversity. And a son pays the greatest honor to his parents with his honesty and good name; let the son never make his father tremble with indignation or with shame, and God will provide the rest...."

With regard to what you tell me about my duties as a Christian, I can tell you gladly that I have not for one moment stopped believing in the fundamental principles of our religion; my childhood beliefs have yielded to the convictions of youth which in time will take root in me; essential [beliefs] which do not resist examination and time should pass into the memory and leave the heart; I should not try to live on illusions and lies. What I believe now, I believe by reasoning, because my conscience can accept only what is compatible with reason. I can bow my head before a fact even though it be inexplicable to me, so long as it is a fact, but never before an absurdity or a mere probability."

===========================

Paciano Rizal to his brother, Nov. 5, 1884:

“At first, I thought it was only an indigestion, and I gave her a laxative hoping it would cure her; that did not happen, however, and she stayed always in bed, weak, unable to eat or sleep, so that she had lost a lot of weight after a week. I was growing very anxious about her health when I observed her sighing now and again, and then I gathered that it was a spiritual rather than a physical trouble that ailed her; I asked Saturnina [their sister] to take her to her own house to amuse her with gaming, and this having been done, she recovered.


“You were the cause of this sickness and I shall tell you why. At the time there was a great deal of talk and comment about the speech you gave at the banquet for the Filipino Painters; some said you could never return; others said that it would be better for you to stay there; still others said that you had made enemies; and there were those who said that you had also lost friends but, in brief, all were agreed that it would not be good for you to come back. These gratuitous suppositions caused our mother great sorrow and made her ill.”

Teodora Alonso to her son, Dec. 11, 1884:

“You really do not know how sad it makes me feel whenever I hear about you from others in conversation; that is why I ask you again and again not to meddle in things that bring grief to my heart....


“Now, what I truly want from you , my son, is first of all, not to fail in your duties as a real Christian, for this is sweeter to me than your acquiring great knowledge; sometimes knowledge is what leads us to ruin. Perhaps this will be my last letter to you, so remember it well for that is what I desire most.
“Your mother who wants to take you in her arms soon, and wants you to be a good Christian.”

José Rizal to his mother, early 1885:

I am doing everything possible to please you. For more than a year now, and following Father's advice, I have tried as far as possible to withdraw myself and not to call attention to my person. I have been told to stop writing; well, I have put aside my pen, the only tool I had and one which I was beginning to handle not without skill, and if sometimes I have picked it up again it was because I was compelled to do so by very powerful reasons; and even then I did not use my own name, for love of that obscurity which I need.

If in spite of this I still have enemies, well, let them be. It is so difficult to live without sorrow, but misfortunes do not mean dishonor; misfortunes are welcome when they are the result of avoiding abasement and degradation. As long as we keep the esteem of those who know us, as long as our conscience is the friendly guide of our thoughts, what does the rest matter?

We have been born into a society whose political life is so out of joint that we can have no other prospect than to submit or to perish; our conscience must decide which is to be preferred. Let us then put our trust in God and in the sincerity of our purposes. If desiring and having desired the good brings misfortune as a reward, what are we to do?

The best legacy that parents can leave to their children is an upright judgment, generosity in the exercise of our rights, and perseverance in adversity. And a son pays the greatest honor to his parents with his honesty and good name; let the son never make his father tremble with indignation or with shame, and God will provide the rest....

With regard to what you tell me about my duties as a Christian, I can tell you gladly that I have not for one moment stopped believing in the fundamental principles of our religion; my childhood beliefs have yielded to the convictions of youth which in time will take root in me; essential [beliefs] which do not resist examination and time should pass into the memory and leave the heart; I should not try to live on illusions and lies. What I believe now, I believe by reasoning, because my conscience can accept only what is compatible with reason. I can bow my head before a fact even though it be inexplicable to me, so long as it is a fact, but never before an absurdity or a mere probability.

For me religion is the holiest of things, the purest, the most intangible, which escapes all human adulterations, and I think I would be recreant to my duty as a rational being if I were to prostitute my reason and admit what is absurd. I do not believe that God would punish me if I were to try to approach Him using reason and understanding, His own most precious gifts; I believe that to do Him homage, I can do no better than to present myself before Him making use of His best gifts, just as in appearing before my parents I should wear the best clothes they have given me. If someday I were to get a little of that divine spark called science, I would not hesitate to use it for God, and if I should err or go astray in my reasoning, God will not punish me."

Source: http://groups.google.com/group/kor-world/msg/8aa575a3284c6725

No comments: