Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Monday, July 13, 2020

Matthew 10:34-11:1 | Joseph Deutschmann Sword | I did not come to bring peace, but a sword

Matthew 10:34-11:1I did not come to bring peace, but a sword
A German Hunting Sword with Scabbard,
Ivory carved grip attributed to Joseph Deutschmann (1717–1787),
Steel, silver, ivory, wood, leather,
Executed circa 1740,
Part of Illustrations to ‘The Parables of Our Lord’, engraved by the Dalziel Brothers
© Metropolitan Museum, New York
Jesus instructed the Twelve as follows: ‘Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth: it is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A man’s enemies will be those of his own household.
‘Anyone who prefers father or mother to me is not worthy of me. Anyone who prefers son or daughter to me is not worthy of me. Anyone who does not take his cross and follow in my footsteps is not worthy of me. Anyone who finds his life will lose it; anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it.
‘Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me; and those who welcome me welcome the one who sent me.
‘Anyone who welcomes a prophet will have a prophet’s reward; and anyone who welcomes a holy man will have a holy man’s reward.
‘If anyone gives so much as a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple, then I tell you solemnly, he will most certainly not lose his reward.’
When Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples he moved on from there to teach and preach in their towns.
READ MORE
Reflection on the German Rococo Sword

The artwork we are looking at today is a German sword, circa 1740, with an elaborately carved scroll, shell and stylised leaf handle surmounted by a lion holding a crescent moon beneath its paw, probably alluding to recent European victories over the Ottoman Turks in Eastern Europe. Although swords are most commonly associated with warfare, they were also used in other contexts, such as for hunting, gaming tournaments, and as part of parade costumes such as is the case here. So why is Jesus mentioning a sword? ….

Any followers of Jesus should of course be peacemakers and evangelise without using any violence. However, response to the Good News will be mixed: some will listen and accept the message; others will reject it. Because of this, families will be divided or friends might end up in conflict. Thus, in Luke’s Gospel passage today, Jesus is referring to the sword in terms of division, not in terms of violence. When a sword cuts something, it divides; it splits things in two parts...: those who follow Christ and those who don't want to... Our Gospel reading today is a call to follow Christ regardless of any negative fallout we may encounter.

by Patrick van der Vorst
8c103ae7-d582-4d59-ac65-22ede4d44b19.jpeg

No comments: