Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Friday, July 3, 2020

John 20:24-29 | Andrea del Verrocchio | 'My Lord and my God!'

John 20:24-29'My Lord and my God!'
Saint Thomas and Christ,
Sculpted by Andrea del Verrocchio (1435–1488),
Sculpted between 1467–1483,
Cast bronze
© Orsanmichele Church, Florence
Thomas, called the Twin, who was one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. When the disciples said, ‘We have seen the Lord’, he answered, ‘Unless I see the holes that the nails made in his hands and can put my finger into the holes they made, and unless I can put my hand into his side, I refuse to believe.’ Eight days later the disciples were in the house again and Thomas was with them. The doors were closed, but Jesus came in and stood among them. ‘Peace be with you’ he said. Then he spoke to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; look, here are my hands. Give me your hand; put it into my side. Doubt no longer but believe.’ Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Jesus said to him:
‘You believe because you can see me. Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.’
READ MORE
Reflection on the Sculpture

Today is the feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle. He doubted the Resurrection of Jesus and had to feel the wounds of Jesus to be convinced, which we can read about in today’s passage. He utters some of the most important words of the whole New Testament: ‘My Lord and my God!’. With those words he confirms that Christ is fully human (My Lord) and fully Divine (My God).

Thomas probably doubted, yes, but, out of extreme sadness and grieving of his friend Jesus. He had his hope in the fact that Jesus was the Messiah, and had followed Him for over three years. Now he thought Jesus was dead. The loss of his friend tested his faith. Just like it can do in our own lives.

Our late 15th century sculpture by Andrea del Verrocchio, shows the beautiful interaction between Christ and St Thomas. We can almost hear their dialogue when looking at the sculpture. The difference between Christ’s immortal, regal, divine pose, contracts with St Thomas’ agitated, nervous and mortal state. As this sculpture was originally made to stand in one of the fourteen niches on the exterior walls of the Orsanmichele Church in Florence, the figures were cast without modelled backs (not in the round) as they were only to be viewed from the front.
Saint Thomas, pray for us.

by Patrick van der Vorst
8c103ae7-d582-4d59-ac65-22ede4d44b19.jpeg

No comments: