Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Saturday, December 22, 2018

Rafael Alunan III blocked by Facebook on the bullying issue

I was blocked for 24 hours by facebook philippines for posting a gma7 television news report on this little bully that used taekwondo to hurt a fellow student that i spotted in youtube. facebook said it was AGAINST COMMUNITY STANDARDS! my post read: "spare the rod and spoil child. the bully clearly has psycho-emotional issues. interventions should have been applied immediately after the first incident to discipline the bully and prevent future bullying. Because of the lack of it this bully reportedly hurt more victims. this emotionally disturbed student has given the philippine taeknwondo association, of which I am a part, a bad name apart from the damage to his school's carefully sculpted image and reputation. his school better act on this fast before he hurts other students."

The GMA7 televised newscast was the main attachment.

After I posted that, I received from another source a collage of 4 videos of the same bully hurting and/or intimidating other fellow students. That, too, was taken down.

In both posts, I issued other comments calling for tough action by the school and the Philippine Taekwondo Association as may be warranted. Clearly, this boy is a serial bully. If he is not properly counseled, disciplined and straightened out today, he will be tomorrow’s crime story.

Why then did Facebook Philippines block me? What basis did they have to do so when my post had everything to do with values application by both the school, the student and his parents? What community standards were violated by my post?

As President of the Philippine Taekwondo Foundation, I was disturbed by this bully’s behavior which is contrary to the sport’s tenets of serenity, modesty, restraint, prudence, circumspection and self-defense.

As Trustee or Chair of various educational institutions in the past, I was shocked that no action had been taken by Ateneo against this little goon until the news about him went viral yesterday.

As a grandparent and parent, I searched for responsible parenthood in all those occasions. What did the parents do to stop it?

As a public figure, I stood up for the victims of this bully’s violent ways and condemned his wrongdoing. It is my moral obligation and civic duty to do so.

Which is why I’m incensed at Facebook Philippines for blocking my post and saying that I violated its community standards. It is I who has been violated and insulted beyond belief. It is ethics and social responsibility that have been unjustly violated by its warped mentality.

RAFAEL ALUNAN III [former DILG and TOURISM Secretary]

No comments: