Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

How Dare Michael Martinez Succeed Without Government

How Dare Michael Martinez Succeed Without Government
Michael Martinez, the Philippines lone representative to the Sochi Olympics made it to the finals. He didn’t just make it to the Olympics, he made it to the finals. On top of it – Michael, just like Manny Pacquiao, Lea Salonga, Charice Pempengco, Jasmine Trias, the Philippine Dragonboat team, and the overseas Filipinos – showed that Filipinos can succeed, do succeed, and will WITHOUT any need for government “support”.
This is of course contrary to the belief of the typical Pinoy who believes that the government must do everything for him and provide for everything – electricity, housing, education, health care, security, food, phone, Internet, entertainment, clothing, and retirement. As the saying goes, cradle to grave welfare.
Thus to have somebody like Michael Martinez being able to succeed without any funding by way of the pork barrel, or being in the Gintong Alay program, or getting any relief via the CCT subsidy is an outrage –to palamunins and their corrupt padrinos in government.
Martinez-05
This reminds me of a question that was raised to me in FB – “The tax you’re paying is not enough to cover for all the basic services that the government is providing you and which you are enjoying”.
My reply was:
WHAT BASIC services is the gov providing to me that I’m enjoying?
Electricity? Water? – I pay the utilities company
Housing? I pay the real estate company
Education? I pay for my education and I go to private institutions.
Health care? I pay for my own health insurance
Security? I pay the house monitoring company.
Food? I pay for my own food
Phone? I pay for my phone bill
Internet? I pay the Internet company
Entertainment? I pay Netflix and Spotify
Clothing? I pay Macy’s, JC Penney, TJMaxx, Marshall’s, Walmart
Retirement? I pay for my IRA and 401k – on top of my income tax deductions
For short, I am already paying for these BASIC services which are delivered by PRIVATE firms.
So, puhleeze…. what BASIC services are you talking about?
How could I (and those who have gone before me) do all that without government support?
Plain and simple, I work my ass out, I learn my craft so I can generate income to pay not just for my needs but for my family too.

For short, I don’t depend on government to provide for me because I like to choose what to get for me.
Beggars can’t be choosers – but believe you me, Pinoy palamunins will feel entitled to choose.

When Pinoys think that they rely on government for their welfare they are exhibiting total ignorance of economics and mathematics. No thanks to the Philippine public schools and state universities who “take pride” in low tuition rates (which are actually paid for by taxpayers who don’t attend these mendicant institutions). Whaddya expect, you get monkeys when you pay peanuts.
***
You would think that after all the probes and exposes on government scams Pinoys would become wiser. That they would realize that government does not have any money. That any money government spends on someone else’ welfare, was taken from somebody else hard earned paycheck or earnings. Obviously Filipinos have not learned anything at all – and lots are demanding more government support for Michael Martinez.
Martinez-03
I think that’s the worst thing that can happen to Michael – because government support will only hinder him and drag him down as government officials pester him with whatever fund usage guidelines they can think of. Not to mention, the usual kickbacks on bloated training funds and the epal politicians seeking attention because they approved his budget. The government is like a millstone hanging around one’s neck and instead of soaring like an eagle, government support will drag Michael Martinez down to fly like a turkey.
***
By the way, since Michael made it to the finals – there will already be some financial rewards waiting for him.
The thing is, once Michael receives the reward for doing an excellent job, expect Kim Henares and the Bureau of Internal Robbery to tax Michael’s earnings and redistribute it to the PDAF/DAP guzzling crowd of Senators, Congressmen, Party listers, Mayors, Governors, Councilors and Barangay Kapitans and Kagawads.
Martinez-04
Which brings home to the point that while there are throng of palamunins in the masa – there also rich palamunins.
Who are the rich palamunins? On top of all the government officials and employees, these rich palamunins also include  the cronies who benefit from laws that keep competition out – and therefore, make their money by depriving Filipino consumers of choices – a very subtle form of plunder.
***
The other important thing to recognize is Michael’s determination to compete against more seasoned and well-funded athletes. Unlike Pinoy workers and Pinoy businessmen, Michael did not ask for protection against competition – Michael sought competition.
It is a stark contrast to crony firms like ABS-CBN or Ayala Land  or SM who keep on harping they are number one – but where are their competitors really?
Number one in a race with only two or three contestants? And not even a qualifying round at that. Quite PATHETIC. For all the protections against competition given to MERALCO, consumers have been getting  bum deal.
In contrast, the audiences of the Sochi Olympics have been wowed by the performance of the athletes competing against each other and themselves.
***
In my book, Mark Martinez does not have to win gold to prove himself a winner.
The fact that he reached the Olympics, by his own effort – and NO GOVERNMENT SUPPORT at that, makes him a winner in my book – he is definitely not a PINOY PALAMUNIN.
Great job Michael – I cannot be proud of you as that is your sole right. However, I am very happy for you.  Keep on training, keep on competing, keep on exercising your liberty in the pursuit of your personal happiness. Aim high and hit your mark – don’t let government get in your way, refuse to be a PINOY PALAMUNIN.
Martinez

No comments: