Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Friday, January 16, 2009

OBITUARY FOR SIR ALEX MUSHAKE, KGCR - 4 JANUARY 2009

We join the family in mourning the loss of Sir Alexander Mushake. We are gathered to pay homage to someone who has accomplished phenomenal work on his beloved Philippines and particularly the Philippine National Hero: Dr. Jose Rizal.

Sir Alex was forever in love with his adopted country, the Philippines and its national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal.

As a person with a broad knowledge, he has touched our hearts, our lives and our spirits. He was a "walking encyclopedia" His house was a heritage for all Filipinos. His personal library on Rizal and the Philippines is not only great, but also unique! Several times, I had the honor and privilege to be the guest of Sir Alex and Lady Jane. For me, those extended weekends were a very special experience. We talked for half a day. In fact, I listened to him most of the time. While the other half of the day, we spent in his library which is for sure the largest personal one on Rizal in Europe, if not outside of the Philippines. From time to time we had some different views on certain subjects which we put aside as went on with our "hobby", or shall I use the words of my wife "our obsession" on Rizal?

He was my guidance and mentor. To cite just two examples: One evening I read something about Rizal and had some questions that I phoned and told him about it. I can tell you when I came home from work the next day, a fax was waiting for me with the necessary explanations.

Sir Alex and I had already discussed his personal biographical dates on Rizal. Some 10 days ago, I had put them on PC and sent them by postal mail on Saturday. Unfortunately, he left us one day later. He never saw them.Most profoundly, he impressed us as a true professional. His actions rose beyond personal considerations. He acted on principled idealism, not on motives of material aggrandizement for himself. Yet, he remained simple, humble and unaffected up to the end. He was a man of few words, but very meaningful and truthful.

Sir Alex was a devoted family man to his wife, Lady Jane and he shall be missed by all of us who have been witness to his daring and innovativeness on Rizalism.

He will always be in my mind and in my heart. He was a true friend, a genuine Rizalist, and, above all, a gentle and kind person.

A British preacher, writer once said: "A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-not flowers have withered. Carve your name on hearts, not on marble."

Goodbye my dear Knight of Rizal. You will always be remembered. For you have carved your name not on marble Sir Alex but on the hearts of many friends.

Today, even as we bid him our final goodbye, we know that death cannot diminish the light of our Over–all- Advisor for Europe, Sir Alex. His legacy, compassion, and grace will live on in our minds and in our hearts. Definitely, we, and the Philippines lost a great admirer.

Every time we speak the words Non Omnis Moriar you will be remembered my dear Friend and I thank you from my heart for allowing me having been a part of your life. I am grateful and proud to have been your Friend. May the Almighty Lord welcome you into Paradise.

Farewell Dear Friend. Paalam Brod.

To use Rizal's words from his last poem: "Mi Ultimo Adios": Farewell, to die is to rest.

Lucien Spittael

No comments: